Saima UribeSaima Uribe
What Information Do I Need To Do My Personal Taxes?

What Information Do I Need To Do My Personal Taxes?

Gathering your tax documents can be stressful because you don’t want to forget anything. We wanted to give you a general list of items that might be applicable to any tax situation to help make the process a little smoother:


  • Social Security Numbers and dates of birth for you, your spouse, and dependents
  • Copies of last year’s return for you and your spouse
  • Bank account number and routing number, if depositing your refund directly into your account
  • Estimated tax payment documentation of either a check, bank records, or online confirmation printout of payment. 
  • Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements 


  • W-2 forms for you and your spouse
  • 1099-C forms for cancellation of debt
  • 1099-G forms for unemployment income, or state or local tax refunds
  • 1099-MISC forms for you and your spouse (for any independent contractor work)
  • 1099-R, Form 8606 for payments/distributions from IRAs or retirements plans
  • 1099-S forms for income from sale of a property
  • 1099-INT form for interest
  • 1099-DIV form for dividends
  • 1099-B for broker-handled transactions
  • K-1’s from partnership, s corporations, or trusts and estate beneficiaries
  • SSA-1099 for Social Security benefits received
  • Alimony received
  • Business or farming income: Profit and Loss statement, capital equipment information
  • Rental property income and expenses: Profit and Loss statement, suspended loss information
  • Prior year installment sale information-Forms 6252, principal and interest collected during the year, SSN and address for payer
  • Miscellaneous income: jury duty, gambling winnings, Medical Savings Account, scholarships, etc. 


  • 1098-E for student loan interest paid (or loan statements for student loans)
  • 1098-T for tuition paid (or receipts/canceled checks for tuition paid for post-high school)
  • For teachers: Receipt totals for expenses paid for classroom supplies, etc.
  • IRA contributions made during the year
  • Self-employed health insurance payment records
  • Alimony paid
  • Keogh, SEP, SIMPLE, and other self-employed pension plans
  • HSA contributions


  • Child care costs: provider’s name, address, tax ID, and amount paid
  • Forms 1098: Mortgage interest, private mortgage insurance (PMI), and points you paid
  • Charitable donations: cash amounts, official charity receipts, canceled checks, value of donated property, miles driven and out-of-pocket expenses. 
  • Medical and dental expense records (threshold is anything over 10% AGI)
  • Property tax on home, car, boat, or other personal property (limit is $10,000)
  • State income tax or state sales tax

Do you want more information on tax?  Download our free tax ebook! 

About Saima Uribe

Saima earned her Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting with a minor in Human Resources from Purdue University.  When she’s not working on your taxes, you’ll find her at a tournament watching one of her four sons take down a competitor on the wrestling mat. She loves her kids, but don’t make her take them shopping.  They are constantly rushing her, telling her not to buy a new pair of boots, and insisting on hitting up the food court.